Implemented and On-going Reforms in 2011
Development of the Legislative Base
As a result of legislative changes:
· Social worker of the National Probation Agency participates in a process of implementing the agreement of diversion of juveniles;
· Type, place and daily duration of community service is determined by the National Probation Agency;
· The National Probation Agency organizes video-conferencing outside of penitentiary establishments by means of its territorial units – probation bureaus;
· A normative act on convicts' risk assessment and individual sentence planning principles, rules and forms was adopted.
· Job descriptions have been developed and functions have been defined for all positions within the Agency;
· Systematic trainings are conducted for raising qualification of employees;
· During the current year, 80 employees of the National Probation Agency have attended trainings.
· A modern system of supervision has been implemented in order to provide monitoring of convicts involved in community service. The mechanism envisages control of the location of an offender by means of GPS technology;
· A database of work places/vacancies was created.
· National Probation Agency provides a set up of a video-conference outside the penitentiary establishments;
· The National Probation Agency provides a possibility of registration of individuals expressing a desire to visit an offender as well as coordination of the process and connection;
· At this stage, the video conferencing is provided from Tbilisi and Kutaisi Probation Bureaus, to the Special Establishment for Juveniles №11 and Semi-Open and Closed Type Penitentiary Establishment №15;
· The database is maintained for those individuals wishing to use the service of a video- conference.
Development of Rehabilitation Programs and Involvement into the Community
· 36 probationers have been employed in various regions with the assistance of probation bureaus. Employment needs of 5 probationers out of 36 was identified with the methodology of individual sentence planning;
· 22 probationers went through medical examinations and a course of treatment with the help of the National Probation Agency and assistance of partner organizations;
· 57 probationers took part in the construction of churches and monasteries and their maintenance, planting parks and squares and in other community services;
· 21 probationers went through a professional trainings and other courses;
· In cooperation with Patriarchate's youth center ‘Davitiani' and the Association of Psychologists-Consultants 16 suspended individuals are going through a one-month training with a goal of future integration into the community;
Under the organization of Patriarchate's anti-drug center and the National Probation Agency 25 young probationers are involved in the psycho-social rehabilitation project;
Raising of Public Awareness
· With the assistance of the EU project “Supporting the Rule of Law in Georgia”, the public opinion poll was conducted and recommendations have been developed which will be considered during the designation of the strategy of the campaign for raising awareness about the National Probation Agency.